View unanswered posts » View active topics View unread posts

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:33 pm 
Leather Collar

You can vote for Collar 6 on several sites. Voting increases rank, meaning C6 gets pushed higher up the list.

And that means more people will see it, meaning more traffic and more fans.

It also means (possibly) more ads clicked and more donations.

So here's a list of the sites. Sadly, I can only put 1 hyperlink in a post, so I'll be doing each site as a separate post.

1. WebComicz
Link: http://www.webcomicz.com/webcomics/1008/vote.html

Webcomicz needs you to input the letters from an image correctly. Then click and you've voted.

However, you can also make an account on Webcomicz. This enables you to add Collar6(an others) to a list of your favorites. This also gives the comic a boost, additional to the daily voting.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:36 pm 
Leather Collar

2. topwebcomics
Link: http://topwebcomics.com/vote/9507/default.aspx

Topwebcomics works differently, depending on wether you have an account there or not.

If you don't have an account, you'll be presented with an image, which has a word written on it. Below it will be 3 buttons with a word on it. Click the corresponding button and you have voted.

If you have an account, you'll simply get a button to click, no images needed. With an account, you can also add the comic to your favorites.

NOTE: For those of you who are considering voting from multiple computers on the same network, I wouldn't bother. Here's a piece of the voting list from the site:

Quote:
6/24/2010 5:42:46 PM 68.96.23.* Success
6/24/2010 5:32:15 PM 91.181.214.* Duplicate
6/24/2010 5:22:21 PM 91.181.214.* Duplicate
6/24/2010 5:02:08 PM 68.33.202.* Success
6/24/2010 4:56:49 PM 209.30.124.* Success
6/24/2010 4:52:22 PM 93.96.172.* Success
6/24/2010 4:49:56 PM 201.19.64.* Duplicate
6/24/2010 4:45:52 PM 69.134.63.* Success
6/24/2010 4:43:50 PM 71.20.147.* Success
6/24/2010 4:42:45 PM 75.13.136.* Duplicate

See that little star at the end of each IP addres?
That number can go from 0 to 255. And no matter if it's 1, 2, 3, 4 or anything beyond that, it's ignored and considered a duplicate.

Last edited by Vordreller on Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:41 pm 
Leather Collar

3. TheWebComicList
Link: http://www.thewebcomiclist.com/p/14961

This site works differently.

It bases the rank of a comic on howmany users have it in their "favorite" list(meaning you'll need an account there), and some other things too. Sadly,the link to their FAQ gives a "page missing" page, so I couldn't find out any more >_>

EDIT: I checked their forums. All they're willing to say is this:
Quote:
The ranking is calculated based on a number of factors, some with formulas involving the entire greek alphabet, some so secret that even Ash can't remember them. But it comes down to this:
The most important factor is number of clicks to your comic through this site per update. This means that increasing your schedule can be a bad idea if you care about ranks...
Some of your readers will return every day and click through to your comic every day, but chances are that they'll check every couple of days and hit the Back button a few times. So with n being the number of daily visitors, and N being the number of visitors for every update U which happens every d days with fanservice level f, you'd get something like:
N=f(n×dU)
The less often you update, the more visitors per update, the higher your N-factor and the higher your rank. How often you update is also a factor, so there is some trickyness involved.
Ofcourse there's much, much more, some not even known to me...

Unread postPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:12 pm 
Leather Collar

I just saw this a while ago: we're number 1 on The Webcomic list.

Go C6.

Keep clicking and voting people ^^

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:13 am 
Site Domme

Vordreller wrote:
See that little star at the end of each IP addres?
That number can go from 0 to 255. And no matter if it's 1, 2, 3, 4 or anything beyond that, it's ignored and considered a duplicate.

Vord,

No it is not considered duplicate as long as each ip address is individual, even if it is in the same subnet. Those that are showing duplicate are -actual- duplicate votes from the exact same IP address. Last Res0rt is voting from Cornell University with hundreds of votes on the same subnet and the guy who runs TWC said it is perfectly legal and the votes count.

A fan came to me about this issue and they had addressed it with the powers that be at TWC (hence the above information.)

Do a check on it ;)

Madame

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:50 am 
Leather Collar

Ah, right.

The star usually means "anything goes here". At least that's what I'm learning here in college.

On the other hand, this can also be a security thing, not giving away the exact IP address of people connecting to the site.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:00 am 
Leather Collar

Hmmmmm

From rank 1 to rank 1651 in 1 day.

Is that the fate of comics on thewebcomiclist who reach rank 1? Stay there a week and then get tossed to the bottom, to start over?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:16 am 
Site Domme

Vordreller wrote:
Hmmmmm

From rank 1 to rank 1651 in 1 day.

Is that the fate of comics on thewebcomiclist who reach rank 1? Stay there a week and then get tossed to the bottom, to start over?

Something is messed up in their programming as they have us with over 7 million visits in 1 day. Not sure what is going on there, but it appears something in their software.

Madame

Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:20 pm 
Site Domme

Seems there is some speculation as to where the Cornell information came from. A fan, who's name I will leave out for their privacy noticed the information as they are an avid member of TWC. They went to the head guru of TWC himself and addressed the issue because it appeared all the votes were coming from one ip address. (the info on the ip addresses that vote is public at TWC, evidently)

The fan forwarded the reply from the TWC god to me as info:

Code:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: TWC Contact Form | Voting Fraud
To: xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com

The last number is hidden, so what you aren't seeing is that its a different ip address each time, one by one.  If you do a reverse DNS lookup of one of those numbers, it indicates that its Cornell University.  Based on the times, they're each a few minutes apart, so probably someone at a computer lab voting one by one.  But it could be 2 people, or 3 or 4. 

Many many many people vote from home, and from their work address.  I don't do anything to stop it, nor will I.  I can't put a camera in the cornell lab to watch and see if its 1 person or 2 or 25.  I've known grad assistants to ask their class to vote, those classmates probably know nothing about the comic, but they vote anyway.

In the end, 60 thousand people a day vote on topwebcomics.com, so if one person votes on 30 computers, its a drop in the bucket, and in the end, if a webcomic isn't good, it won't be able to compete.  Thats why I encourage vote incentives, especially previews of future comics (like goblins did yesterday, generating 4,000 votes!), rough drafts so people can see how the comic is made, wallpaper-like images of their characters, etc. 

Many times a webcomic is high in the list not because the webcomic is necessarily "good", but because the author is working really hard to give its fans reasons to participate, and I encourage that behavior. 

I don't allow "bots", but I do allow pretty much anything else a human can manually do.

I appreciate your concern, and you weren't alone, but this isn't someone just generating new ip addresses for their computer/phone/etc, workplaces, computer labs, etc all have multiple computers and often multiple ip addresses, so I simply can't block them or tell if they're a unique human or not.

Thanks,

Richard Mathis http://topwebcomics.com http://dndorks.com

----------------------------------

On 6/9/2010 12:28 PM, TopWebComics Support wrote:
Mail from xxxxx
Hi, I'm just a fan of webcomics. I have not ties to any webcomic on here and do not make any myself. While on your site, I noticed something odd about the IP traffic for the comic Last Res0rt. When I vote for webcomics I like, it tells me that I can vote once every so many hours from one IP address. If this is the case, can you please explain how this: http://topwebcomics.com/vote/6410/ipreport.aspx  is going on. It's obvious that the same person is voting multiple times in one day, within mintues of the last vote. How? B/c of mobile phones that connect to the internet. This is fraud and unfair for other comics who do actually get the votes from different people. Like I said, I am a fan of webcomics, and I will be notifying the webcomic artists and writers that you are allowing this to happen, if something is not done. Thank you for your time.

Shortly after the email-- the votes for LastRes0rt no longer reflected the multiple ip addresses from the one subnet.

Just to clear the air as to where the information came from.

Madame

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:31 pm 
Leather Collar

heh in the log for collar6 is
7/12/2010 12:01:41 PM 192.168.0.* Success
looks like someone at topwebcomics,or the place that hosts thier server, likes collar6